Template Frameworks: Go further in the management of your Joomla sites
Joomla is offered with a basic Template on which you can work to customize your site to the identity of your company, your customer, your association.
But sometimes this is not enough and you might feel the need to use a specific tool : a template framework.
What is a template framework ?
A template framework is simply an extension (component or plugin) allowing you to manage additional options in your template without having to code, thanks to the styles interface in the administration.
For example, most allow the creation of rows, columns, space for modules, and specifically some will offer options like menu display management, offcanvas management, return to top of page ...
What is interesting for non-developers is that all of them offer to modify the styles of certain zones without knowing how to code (background image or colour, colour and size of texts, choice of fonts) and above all, the site is configured for display on different mobile devices, which is always a bit complicated and requires time to adjust.
So without knowing how to code, you have access to a tool that will help you create a site that looks like you imagined it would when you designed it.
Where can I find a framework template?
If you are a regular user of Joomla and have already installed a template downloaded from a supplier, it is likely that you have already used a framework without necessarily knowing that it was one. Indeed, template frameworks are generally created by template (and module) vendors and often, as they are delivered as open source, they are reused by other template vendors.
The creators of these frameworks offer them as free downloads, on their site against registration, or sometimes on the github platform.
What are the main frameworks used ?
Here is a list of popular template frameworks for Joomla, and their providers:
- Astroid framework - now by templaza (github)
- Gantry Framework - by RocketTheme
- Helix Ultimate - by JoomShaper
- T3 Framework - by JoomlArt
- YOOtheme Pro - by YooTheme
- Wright Framework - by Joomlashack
There are also other template frameworks available for Joomla, but these are some of the best known and most widely used. ( and with a reliable development team behind it )
Why and how to choose one framework over another?
The choice of a framework depends on various factors, such as the needs and preferences of the developer, the complexity of the project, the desired design and functionality, and the level of support and documentation provided by the framework.
Here are some key factors to consider when choosing a Joomla framework:
Features and functionality: Different frameworks offer varying sets of features and functionality. Some frameworks may be more suitable for complex projects, while others may be better for simple ones.
Ease of use: The level of ease of use and customization of the framework is important to consider, especially for developers who are new to Joomla.
Support and documentation: The availability of support and documentation for the framework is crucial in case of issues or problems that may arise during development.
Speed and performance: Some frameworks may be faster and more efficient than others, making them more suitable for projects that require a high level of performance.
Compatibility: The compatibility of the framework with different Joomla versions and third-party extensions is also an important consideration.
Overall, the choice of a framework should be based on the specific needs of the project and the skill level of the developer. It's a good idea to try out different frameworks and see which one fits best to your use and your needs.
If you don't know how to make your choice: a last option is to ask the community, via the forums or groups, an experienced user will be able to advise and guide you.
I personally deep test Helix, T4, Gantry (Gantry was my framework from 2008) and all the other big frameworks (for more than 2 years) and Astroid is simply the most flexible and modern framework available for Joomla today.
You can have more explanation WHY on my Joomla Forum post —> https://forum.joomla.org/viewtopic.php?f=713&t=990697
What I love the most about Astroid is:
- Modern clean and lean code with superfast loading time build by Great People with long time Joomla participation behind Them.
- Bootstrap 5, Awesome 6, SaaS, Total multi-device control for Layout, Typography (local or external), Custom code, LTR, and more...
- Total flexibility in a great powerful template Manager with top notch intuitive interface
—— When I say Flexible here, I say FLEXIBLE. Whatever you have in your head as a modern design can be achieve easily with this Framework) plus Import / export, copy Layout Styles, drag&drop sections, Sticky Header, Off Canvas Panel and more...
- COMPLETELY JOOMLA FRIENDLY (this one is a big one for me) meaning that Astroid use and even enhance all the CORE POWER of JOOMLA (No reinventing the wheel and bypassing Joomla here...)
- Open Source (Like Joomla)
- And so much more reasons (Check my post and the links here)
• ASTROID WEBSITE —> https://astroidframe.work/
• ASTROID GITHUB —> https://github.com/templaza/astroid-framework
• DOWNLOAD LAST RELEASE TO TEST —> https://github.com/templaza/astroid-framework/releases
• QUESTIONS? —> https://github.com/templaza/astroid-framework/discussions
Have Fun with Joomla Again!