My project was divided into two main parts:
- a languages installer for the Joomla! Administrator
- and a languages installer for the Joomla! Installation.
The first part was contributed to Joomla 3.0:
And was also contributed to Joomla 2.5.7. (You can test it in your own installation by checking the "Extensions Manager" => "Install Languages"):
The future of the Joomla! Languages Installer Tool
In the future I'm planning to contribute the Languages Installer Tool "for the Installation" (not the Administrator). This new feature will add a new button after the installation process:
It will allow you to install languages right from the Installer:
This will be a great tool for non-native English speakers who will be able to install and use Joomla! without making any steps in English. I know that you would like to have this feature now in the core, but we are really busy with the launch of Joomla 3.0 and I haven't found the time to finish it. Actually, the code is 99% done, there is only a small challenge to solve with the Updater Platform Package. I hope to find a solution soon ^_^ (If you are a super developer willing to help contact me!).
Finally, I would like to thank the people who have made this project a reality:
- The mentors of the project: Jeremy Wilken, Jean-Marie Simonet and Marijke Stuivenberg, it couldn't be possible without their help.
- Thanks to Chalak S. Kareem and all these amazing people in the Translation Team who contribute their time translating Joomla. They are the ones who really provide the power for this tool to work by creating the high quality Accredited Translations.
- Thanks to Nacho, Sergi and Jose (I owe you a big beer in Montatitos), because they taught me all that I know about high performance LAMP applications development during my internship in Softonic. And also thanks to Carles Serrats (Dypsys) because he has been my friend and teacher in Joomla! development for years.
- The awesome people that who made this GSoC happen: Chad Windnagle, Andrea Tarr, and Elin Waring, Michael Babker, Robert Deutz, Andrew Eddie, Louis Landry, Jacques Rentzke, Matt Thomas, Aaron Schmitz, Chris Davenport, Daniel Dimitrov, Diana Prajescu, Emerson Rocha Luiz, Florian Voutzinos, Herman Peeren, Jon Neubauer, Joseph LeBlanc, Kavith Thiranga, Marius Van Rijnsoever, Mark Dexter, Ofer Cohen, Oleg Nesterov, Prasath Nadarajah, Stefan Neculai, Gabriele and Alikonweb.
- The Jooma Magazine Team that reviews my english articles ^_^
- The people like Sam Moffat who made the Updater possible, and all the people in the J!Platform project like Louis, Andrew, Christophe, Ian, Mark Dexter, Elkuku, Hackwar, Rvsjoen, Robschley, Ofer, Ron, Peter, ... and all who are here: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-platform/graphs/contributors.
- And I would also like to thank all the members of the Joomla! community who have tested the tool. Thanks: Rouven Weßling, Jean-Claude Richard, Roland Dalmulder, Michael Babker, Bill Richardson, Mark Dexter, Paulo Griietner, Strumjan, Brian Teeman, Paul Orwig, Lungkao, Mu'uz, Matt Thomas, Ole Ottosen, Jan Erik Zassenhaus, Biz Smith, Sander, Sándor Balikó, Mark Studer, Ricky Stanley, Jordi Sala, Fernando Galindo, Iván Ramos, Pablo Arias, Miquel Reus Capó, Tito and all the other anonymous people who have given their feedback in the blog.