This feature is beneficial for new users. Here are some key features of the functionality:
- Create menu item directly from the component view.
- Enable the plugin in one or more than one component.
- The functionality can also be used by other 3rd party component to create a menu item.
- Reduced number of steps to create a menu item.
This was my first time coding a plugin for Joomla. Getting familiar with the Joomla framework, MVC structure and how Joomla CMS works were some of the learning experience that I gained through this project. I am quite happy with my result. Though the plugin need to be made compatible with the categories component and also need a few tweaks but 90% of the goals of the project are achieved. But as this is my first PR to the core I intend to work on this PR in future to make it better and to achieve its 100% goals.
Well, whenever I see a question what’s the most difficult challenge that I faced during GSOC period only one thing pops up in my mind. Being selected as a GSOC student is one hell of a challenge itself.
Coming to my GSOC period, I learnt many things
- Got more familiar with github.
- Learnt how coding standards helps an organization to keep its code well organized.
- Learnt to take constructive feedbacks from the mentors and implement them accordingly.
- Also got the chance to publish some of articles at Joomla Community Magazine.
- Learnt how to interact with other members of the Joomla community to get help.
- Finally learnt how the Joomla framework works and Joomla infrastructure.
My Thoughts about Joomla!
When I was in the process of selecting an organisation for my google summer of code project, I came across the Joomla and in the description it read that Joomla is currently responsible for powering over 2.7% of all of the internet's websites, and I was like wooaah! That’s an impressive number. That’s the point where I thougth that as a community Joomla must be awesome, because to pull off that 2.7% stat is not possible without a well supporting community. That was my first impression of Joomla.
When I first started coding on my project “Improving menu item workflow in Joomla” I was little skeptical if I wouldbe able to complete my project on time or not. As a new developer to Joomla API and Joomla MVC structure I struggled at starting, but as time passed and under the expertise of my mentors I made myself comfortable coding in Joomla and right now I enjoy coding in Joomla.
After the end of GSoC I intend to help Joomla in whichever I could help. Testing the PR’s and solving some issue on the issue tracker page from time to time are some of the way with which I am planning to be a part of Joomla family again. In future If it’s possible I also intend to be a part of Joomla GSoC team.
Details of the Project
Link to the PR: https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/11766
Link to the articles related to the projects: http://magazine.joomla.org/site/itemlist/user/46956-shubhamrajput