On December 3, 2011 the Joomla! Day LA was held at the Microsoft offices in downtown Los Angeles. Based upon the modes of transportation used by the attendees, it was Joomla’s version of “Planes, Trains, and Automobiles”. Several people flew into LA to attend/speak. I personally drove to the nearest MetroLink Train station, rode the MetroLink train to Union Station, then walked the last mile to the event.
This was the first time a Joomla! Day Event was held in Southern California. Attendees came from San Digeo, Orange County, Inland Empire, Los Angeles County, San Francisco, and even Park City Utah. Based on the feedback from the attendees, there will be Joomla! Day Events held in Southern California in the future.
This was the agenda for the day:
1. Keynote by Ryan Ozimek
- Open Source Matters President Ryan Ozimek shared some of the history of the Joomla! Project, along with where it is headed to in the future.
2. Custom Templates: From Comp 2 Completion by Duke Speer
- Duke shared some of the great tools that are available for both website and template creation.
3. Running a Joomla! Centric Business by Jon Lackey
- Jon briefly shared some business tips along with Site & Template tricks
4. Keepin’ Joomla! Up-to-date by Sam Moffatt
- Sam shared info about updating Joomla! He also built a mobile application during his presentation, showing how easy it can be to create a mobile application.
4. Microsoft Webmatrix by Alice Pang, Microsoft Developer Evangelist
- Alice showed us how easy it was to create a Joomla! Website using the WebMatrix Platform.
5. Site & Template Optimization by Jon Lackey
- Jon shared some of the tips and tricks to making your Joomla! website run smoothly.
6. Getting Social with JomSocial by James Foreman
- James shared info on how you can use JomSocial to reach out to your website community.
Special Thanks to Jon Lackey from Zuno Studios for organizing the Joomla! Day LA Event.