J is for Joy...
Joomla! is a huge, worldwide community, encompassing many languages and many cultures. When we are able to work and collaborate together, we can do amazing things with incredible results. When we bring our joy into what we do, it is shared with all.
I recently had the opportunity to attend two Joomla! events. They were like night and day... or Day and Knight! The first event was Joomla! Day New England (JDNE) held in Brattleboro, Vermont, the heartland of happy cows. The second was J and Beyond 2011 (JAB11), ensconced in a centuries old monastery in Kerkrade, The Netherlands.
JDNE was a full-day event, geared towards the typical web builder and designer, with sessions on templating, website planning and strategy, security, and e-commerce. JAB11 was a 3-day weekend extravaganza with over 200 international developers and designers, who shared ideas, code, solutions and suggestions on how to make things better.
I went to both events to meet people and to learn more about this incredible community. What I came away with was how welcoming everyone was and that we all have the same passion for Joomla! in common. At both of these events, there was a lot of discussion on how to get more volunteers involved with the project, how can we make it easier to get started, how can we simplify the call to action?
J is for Join...
There is a need for all areas of expertise: communications, administrative, outreach, documentation writing, and of course, coding. Here are a few examples:
- The Leadership Team posted its 2011 goals [https://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1452-2011-goals-budget.html]. If you are interested in helping out with any of these goals or the tasks that are associated with them, if possible, follow up directly with someone on that leadership team (PLT/CLT/OSM). If you don't know who to follow up with, please send an email to
- OSM (Open Source Matters) is seeking an assistant treasurer; contact Paul Orwig directly at
- The Trademark Team is always on the lookout for volunteers. Contact
- The CLT (Community Leadership Team) is currently looking for people with a variety of skills to join the CLT [https://community.joomla.org/blogs/leadership/1454-joomla-community-leadership-is-looking-for-additional-members.html]. Please send an email to
- This (not one, but two!) J.O.S.C.A.R. award-winning magazine is always looking for marketing/promotion gurus, contributing authors, editors, project news, beat writers, international authors, illustrators, photographers, pontificators, poets and proofers. Contact us at
- There is a new Help Wanted section in the community forum, where particular positions will be posted: http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=681. Check in regularly to see where your help might be needed!
- For you coders, please head over to http://developer.joomla.org/ and join one, or all, of the developer lists:
- the JBS - Bug squad list
- the General list - anything about development in general (got a problem with your custom component?)
- the CMS list - talk about the current development cycle (eg, 1.7)
- the Framework list - talk about the nuts and bolts of the Joomla Platform
J is for Journey...
Joomla! is a volunteer community and it needs both “u” and “i” to make it complete. By getting involved, you will have the chance to meet folks who share the same passions for design, development and being a part of this incredible journey. I hope I am speaking to YOU... the Joomla! enthusiast sitting at home wondering how to give back? If so, YAY! Comment here, we will make sure we put you in touch with the right people!
And... in case you haven’t heard: