By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://magazine.joomla.org/
The Joomla Automated Testing Code Sprint 2015
A four day Code Sprint for Automated Testing aspects of the Joomla CMS and the Framework took place in Germany at the beginning of November.
A Code Sprint is a dedicated session in which a group of volunteers come together at a geographic location to work on code for the Joomla project. The Automated Testing Code Sprint took place in the city of Karlsruhe (Germany) from October 29th until November 1st.
The participants, members of the Joomla Automated Testing Working group, were: Javier Gomez, Viktor Vogel, Robert Deutz , Puneet Kala, Kshitij Sharma, Yves Hoppe, Niels Braczek, Daniel Dimitrov, Niels Nübel and Francesco Abeni.
On the firsts days of the Code Sprint we were proud to also count on the participation of Michael Bodnarchuk, the creator of the Codeception Testing Framework, who joined the event virtually to advise us on how to better test Joomla.
The Code Sprint was possible thanks to:
- the finnancial support of Open Source Matters, the non-profit organization responsible for the legal and financial aspects of the Joomla Project, which covered the costs of the hotel and flights and meals.
- the help from the German JandBeyond association for organizing the visa processing of the participants.
- the sponsorship of 1und1.de (1&1), that covered the lunches and offered their facilities at their Business Center in the city of Karlsruhe.
The Event was focused on two main areas:
- define a strategy for Joomla 3 tests to guarantee the stability while working on Joomla 4.
- work on the automated tests for the Weblinks component to serve as an example of how to test Joomla extensions. Some of the progress is described in the following video:
You can find the detailed tasks that were done during the Code Sprint in the Volunteers Portal Team Report.
We worked a lot and made great progress. But the best, with no doubt, was to have the unique opportunity of devoting volunteer time to the Joomla project surrounded by brilliant people from around the world who love what they do as much as we do.
The work is not finished after the Code Sprint. Totally the opposite! We have a pretty active team that is excited and willing to continue devoting their volunteer time to Joomla.
If you are interested in Automated Testing and want to contribute to Joomla, join us: