So, You Want to Be a Leader!
This quote from Dwight D. Eisenhower touched me in a special way: Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because s/he wants to do it. Leadership is about setting an example on how to do the right things. And show others how to do it by giving direction and inspiration.
This article was inspired upon an interesting conversation that took place just yesterday on Twitter. Subject was Leadership within the Joomla community.
From this conversation, I put together some points I believe are relevant:
- Be prepared to act, address tough situations and make tough (yet needed) decisions.
When action is required, remember it's for the greater good. Some decisions are really hard to make and looking at the other site will not help anyone.
- Enable positive actions and environment to allow the growth of the Project.
A positive attitude can inspire others around you to give all they have and want to give. Ideas and actions will flow more easily.
- Be honest and open to the people you serve.
Wether there is something good or bad going on, it is important to be straight-forward and keep people informed of what is going on.
- Leadership requires open mind and respect for everyone around you.
In a community where diversity rules, it is important to have the utmost respect for those who are under any given Leadership.
- Don't let friendship cloud your judgement.
Leadership judgements should not be influenced by friendship as you become conflicted and cannot lead effectively.
- If not able to carry on in Leadership, consider stepping down.
There are moments of life when one is not in conditions to be a Leader. Be strong and brave to step down. This helps the health of the environment.
- Follow the Joomla Code of Conduct
Reading the Joomla Code of Conduct is mandatory to those who want to lead. There you be found guidance on how to act upon different situations thay may arise along the way.
In an article by James Manktelow we find the following definition of Leadership:
- Creates an inspiring vision of the future.
- Motivates and inspires people to engage with that vision.
- Manages delivery of the vision.
- Coaches and builds a team, so that it is more effective at achieving the vision.
It shows it is not hard to start.
There are numerous situations in which leaders are required, whether it is organizing a JUG meeting, coaching another member who wants to contribute or being in charge of tasks in a working group to make it move forward.
Do you want to be a leader? All you need to do is to raise your hand.
The Joomla Community can always use new great leaders.