By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://magazine.joomla.org/
Video: David Hurley Becomes Joomla! 3.4 Release Leader
What is the outlook for Joomla 3.4 and beyond? Shorter and targeted release cycles, improved stability, no more STS/LTS, solving the Bootstrap challenge, and decoupling core extensions. In a video interview, David Hurley shares plans for achieving a new, lighter, and more stable Joomla core without breaking backwards compatibility.
David Hurley and Duke Speer sat down together at the OpenWest conference following David's presentation of the Joomla Framework to that Open Source community. David talks about his plans and hopes for Joomla 3.4, as well as the strategy being adopted by the Production Leadership Team for the rest of the Joomla 3.x series.
Link to video: http://youtu.be/GlqsCqLFbiY
- 0:00 David as next Release Leader and rotating leaders in the Joomla Project.
- 1:25 The end of "STS" and "x.5 as LTS" - Joomla 3.x is "Stable"
- 3:00 Joomla 3.3 and beyond is Stable and is our current LTS release and will be supported for years.
- 4:00 Joomla 3.4 is the turning point toward a new, lightweight more nimble Joomla CMS and a simpler and more stable base system.
- 6:15 In Joomla 3.4, weblinks will be decoupled as a proof of concept for community-supported extensions. Other components will similarly be made optional in subsequent releases.
- 7:15 Giving users more options - pick and choose components.
- 8:10 Why start with Weblinks? The many steps involved in decoupling.
- 9:00 The outlook for components like weblinks moved into independent repositories. A model for future core extensions and features.
- 10:15 Joomla Framework integration into the CMS
- 11:15 The CMS' ability to pick and choose Framework packages.
- 12:00 Managing the various Bootstrap releases and mixed requests from extensions.
- 13:45 Outlook for Joomla 3.4 as it affects Extension Developers.
- 14:30 The plan for shorter goal-driven release cycles.
- 15:15 Release cycle impact on Site Owners - New attention to stability - a production site should be able to one-click update at any time.
- 16:00 --end--
Talk to David in person at the Joomla Developers Conference August 7-8 in Chicago.